Do you want content like this delivered to your inbox?

6 Forms You'll Need to Sell Your Home

Will Featherstone

Having the right real estate agent means having someone who is committed to helping you buy or sell your home with the highest level of expertise in y...

Having the right real estate agent means having someone who is committed to helping you buy or sell your home with the highest level of expertise in y...

Feb 7 3 minutes read

If you’re getting ready to sell your home, there’s probably a lot on your mind. At this point, you might be wondering, “What forms do I need to sell my home?” Sometimes, it can seem like there’s a lot of paperwork involved, but with this handy list below, you’ll be able to stay organized and on top of everything! 

Here are forms you’ll need to sell your home: 

1. Property disclosure form.

The property disclosure form requires you to reveal all of the known defects to your property; this form serves as a legal notice to buyers and ensures they are aware of all existing issues with your home. It’s important that you check with your state government to see if you have a special form for your state. 

2. Purchasers access to premises agreement. 

This form is an agreement that sets conditions for a buyer in relation to them entering your home before you move. A buyer might need access to your home so they can take measurements, make notes on decor, etc. This might also include specifics for any inspections and/or appraisals. 

3. Sales contract. 

This is an agreement between you and the seller, and states the terms and conditions of the sale. Again, it’s important to check with your state’s real estate department to see if there is a certain required form you need to use. This contract also includes the agreed upon purchase price, and any buyer or seller contingencies. Both the buyer and seller will sign this agreement. 

4. Sales contract contingency clauses. 

If there are any special contingencies to your sale—such as the buyer’s need to sell a home before purchasing yours—you might need this special attachment. 

5. Pre- and post-occupancy agreements. 

You’ll need an agreement on the terms and costs of occupancy once a sale closes (unless you’re planning on moving out and having the buy move in on the day of closing). 

A pre-occupancy agreement is used if the buyer will be moving in before the deal closes. This agreements outline who is responsible for home costs and losses to the home, since your homeowner’s insurance might no longer cover the home when you move out (but the buyer’s policy won’t be effective until the sale is final). Issues such as rent you might pay to the buyer and the assigning of bills related to the property (like taxes and utilities) are addressed in the post-occupancy agreement as well. 

6. Lead-based paint disclosure pamphlet. 

Was your home built before 1978? If so, then you must provide this pamphlet to all sellers. You also have to have buyers sign a statement saying that they received this pamphlet. 

Top 5 Things To-Do Before Putting Your Home On The Market

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience and deliver our services. By continuing to visit this site, you agree to our use of cookies. More info